The Bulls, who entered the tournament as the fifth seed, won a tough doubles point against the Rockets. UBís third doubles team picked up the first win as Diana Toia and Diana Popescu defeated Silvia Carvajal and Rahshell Washington, 8-4. The Rockets picked up an 8-5 victory at second doubles, but the Bulls were able to clinch the doubles point as UBís first team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova held off a pesky Martina Wodzinski and Maha Guirguis to win 8-6. The Bulls led 7-2 in the match before Toledo fought back to get it to 7-6.
UB had little problem in singles, winning the first set in five matches. The Bulls advanced their lead to 2-0 as Toia won at fourth singles, defeating Nadia Zubareva in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. The Bulls built their lead to 3-0 as Popescu defeated Ashley Frey, 6-3, 6-2. UB ultimately clinched the match at sixth singles as freshman Tamara Markovic defeated Jessica Azoulay, 6-0, 6-1. When the match ended UB was up in two other matches, including first singles as Harijanto led Wodzinski, 6-4, 5-1. UB also led at fifth singles as freshman Kira Golenko was up on Washington, 6-4, 3-0. Golenko was down 3-0 early in the first set before winning nine of the last 10 games.
UB and Miami will meet in the MAC Semifinals for the second time in three years tomorrow at 10:00 am. The RedHawks are the top seed in this yearís Tournament. Miami defeated Buffalo 4-3 in the regular season.
#5 Buffalo 4, #4 Toledo 0
Apr 30, 2010 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (Sorensen Courts)
1. Martina Wodzinski (UT) vs. Denise Harijanto (UB) 4-6, 1-5, unfinished
2. Maha Guirguis (UT) vs. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
3. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Ashley Frey (UT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Diana Toia (UB) def. Nadia Zoubareva (UT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Rahshell Washington (UT) vs. Kira Golenko (UB) 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
6. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Jessica Azoulay (UT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Maha Guirguis/Martina Wodzinski (UT) 8-6
2. Ashley Frey/Nadia Zoubareva (UT) def. Tamara Markovic/Anna Subenkova (UB) 8-5
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal/Rahshell Washington (UT) 8-4