In doubles, the Zips took the second doubles match, but the Bulls quickly evened things up with a victory at third doubles. Diana Popescu and Diana Toia defeated Zara Harutyunyan and Jeremie Benjamin, 8-4. The Zips claimed the doubles point at first doubles with an 8-6 victory.
Akron went on to win five of the six singles matches, taking a 3-0 lead with wins at fifth and first singles. The Bulls got on the board with a victory at sixth singles as freshman Tamara Markovic defeated Carolina Castro Cota in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. The Zips clinched the match with a win at fourth singles, while matches at second and third went into three sets. Both matches went in Akron’s favor with victories in the third set.
The Bulls return home this upcoming weekend for a pair of matches against MAC competition. UB will host Eastern Michigan on Friday at 1:00 pm.
#66 Akron 6, Buffalo 1
1. Angelika Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 8-6
2. Angelina Jogasuria/Anya Baronayte (UA) def. Tamara Markovic/Kira Golenko (UB), 8-2
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Zara Harutyunyan/Jeremie Benjamin (UA), 8-4
1. Zara Harutyunyan (UA) def. Denise Harijanto, 6-2, 6-3
2. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Diana Popesu, 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
3. Angelika Jogasuria (UA) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
4. Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-4, 6-2
5. Anya Baronayte (UA) def. Diana Toia (UB), 6-0, 6-2
6. Tamara Markovic (UB), Carolina Castro Cota (UA), 6-1, 6-0