PROVIDENCE, RI – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team completed a weekend sweep through Rhode Island with a 7-0 victory against Bryant University on Sunday. Coupled with UB's first ever win over an Ivy League opponent (Brown), the Bulls are off to 2-0 start in the spring campaign.
The Bulls did not drop a set to the homestanding Bulldogs as UB's three doubles combinations easily downed their opponents to grab the opening point. Wojciech Starakiewicz and Kirill Kolomyts breezed to an 8-2 win over Kevin Gardiner and Juan-Martin Paradis at number one. The number three duo of Mitch Zenaty and Alex Kalinin posted an 8-1 win over Cristian Ballestieri and Daniel Cournoyer.
"This was a good start and I am very pleased with the way we competed against two very strong teams," said head coach Lee Nickell. "This was a good test and it shows us what we need to work on these next three weeks as we prepare for Penn State."
The Bulls travel to Penn State on February 13 as UB takes on a Big Ten program for the first time in school history.
Buffalo 7, Bryant 0
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Kirill Kolomyts (UB) def. Kevin Gardiner/Juan-Martin Paradis (BU) 8-2
2. Marcelo Mazzetto/George Tibil (UB) def. Thomas Nowak/Nicholai Hill (BU) 8-4
3. Mitch Zenaty/Alex Kalinin def. Cristian Ballestieri/Daniel Cournoyer (BU) 8-1
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) def. Cristian Balestieri (BU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB) def. Juan-Martin Paradis (BU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Kirill Kolomyts (UB) def. Kevin Gardiner (BU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Alex Kalinin (UB) def. Nicholai Hill (BU), 6-4, 6-4
5. George Tibil (UB) def. Thomas Nowak (BU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Mitch Zenaty (UB) def. Andres Orobitg (BU) 6-3, 6-2